Digitalisation and Big Data: Implications for the Health SectorClient: European Parliament | Sectors: Social Policy, Economic Growth
Big Data has enormous potential to improve health.
Digital technologies can strengthen patients' position, support public health policies, offer more integrated healthcare and reduce healthcare costs.
In collaboration with Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Ecorys organised a workshop on "Digitisation and Big Data: implications for the health sector" for the European Parliament in Brussels. The aim of the workshop was to analyse the implications of digitisation and Big Data for health sectors.
The workshop consisted of presentations given by various practical experts and the exchange of views with MEPs and external experts in the field of Big Data. The following topics were discussed:
• Digitisation in healthcare and the sources of Big Data
• European healthcare and the potential for Big Data
• Future clinical and cultural challenges for the efficient use of Big Data in healthcare
• Technical challenges with regard to the management of the electronic patient files
• Legal and regulatory aspects, including privacy protection and data exchange policies
• Training and education