Technical Assistance to support the strengthening of the capacities for the implementation of the Public Financial Management strategy Albania
The project “Technical Assistance to support the strengthening of the capacities for the implementation of the Public Financial Management strategy Albania” is an EU funded project which is being implemented in partnership with the Ministry of Finance and Economy in Albania. The project was designed to support the implementation of the public finance management reform strategy for 2014-2020 alongside the EU-funded PFM Sector Reform.
The overall objective of the Project (implementation period 17 April 2017-18 April 2020) is to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Finance and Economy and other stakeholders to implement the public finance reform strategy, strengthened transparency and accountability processes through enhanced dialogue and availability of information through Parliament, High State Control and strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Finance and Economy for the better coordination and management of the reform process.
The purpose of this technical assistance project is to strengthen the capacities of the Ministry of Finance and Economy to run an effective mechanism for the management of the reform process to coordinate the implementation of the PFM strategy, monitor and report on results. It will also provide assessment, policy advice, capacity building etc. to the Ministry of Finance and Economy and other stakeholders involved in relation to the implementation of the reforms process.
The assistance will also strengthen the capacities of and cooperation with other stakeholders such as relevant governmental counterparts, state audit office, Parliament as well as consultation with development partners, think tanks and civil society organizations to contribute to overseeing the reform implementation.
The project assistance is focused the following six components:
- Improved capacity of the MOFE to participate effectively in the formulation and coordination of the implementation of the EU funded sector budget support/sector reform contract programmes;
- Improved capacity of the MOFE and other relevant public institutions to effectively coordinate and implement the public finance management reform strategy as well as to effectively coordinate and interlink PFM reforms with other ongoing reform implementations;
- Improved annual and medium-term budget planning (MTBP) to enhance the credibility and comprehensiveness of the medium term budget and to better align strategic planning and budgeting through gap analysis, design of policy advice and implementation and capacity building;
- Improved budget transparency and increased comprehensiveness of the publicly available information increased public participation and public consultation and understanding of the funds implementation through the national budget;
- Improved implementation of the public internal financial control (PIFC) in budget institutions with a special focus on the strengthening of the Financial Management Control (FMC) system and enhanced capacity of the Government to implement the recommendations of the external audit including those on the arrears clearance process;
- Enhanced communication and understanding of the PFM reforms, its importance and value added – including the EU’s support attached to it including enhanced awareness raising of the public.
For further information contact the project director, Ferry Philipsen.
11 December 2019
2 minute read