Support to VAT ImplementationClient: World Bank / National Board of Revenue | Sectors:
The objective of this $5m, 3-year project was to assist the National Board of Revenue (NBR) in managing VAT implementation, the introduction of a related ICT system, and the associated change program.
The programme aims to:
• Increase revenue collection by broadening the tax base and enhancing the NBR’s capacity to identify and deal with non-compliant taxpayers.
• Improve voluntary tax compliance by increasing the ease of compliance.
• Decrease the cost of compliance, supporting private sector development and investment.
• Create a modern, disciplined, knowledge-based and service-orientated VAT administration.
The project successfully:
• Supported the NBR in the planning, management, coordination and oversight of the wider tax reform programme, including the implementation of a COTS ICT system, call centre and data centre by 3rd parties.
• Improved business processes across all functional areas.
• Improved ICT systems, and quality assured ICT hardware and software provision.
• Revised the organisational structure, based on a functional model.
• Supported effective procurement and contract management approaches.
• Developed and implemented a change management strategy and plan, including change agent training.
• Supported a broad range of taxpayer communications and education initiatives.
• Developed a training strategy and programme, and supported its implementation.