School Games Organiser Funding Programme 2018-19Client: Sport England | Sectors: Social Policy
We have been under contract to Sport England for the School Games Organiser Funding Programme since 2011, as part of the Government’s plans for a lasting sporting legacy from hosting the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
During the last full academic year (2017/18), School Games provided 2.3 million participation opportunities for young people as part of School Games events organised by the programme.
The SGO programme funds 450 School Games Organiser posts in schools across England. A key focus of their role is to work with their network of local schools on increasing numbers of young people involved in competitive sport.
Our role is to provide the financial administration and data reporting for the programme.
Our main financial administration responsibilities include:
• Issuing award letters to host schools in the first year of the contract, and subsequently, to any new schools replacing those that are withdrawing from hosting the SGO post. The application process is managed by the Youth Sport Trust and we do not take part in the approval of host schools
• Issuing annual grant payments of £23,800 for every SGO post awarded (total of £10.7 m each year)
• Managing a helpline (phone and email) to provide support and guidance to SGO host schools
• Auditing the spend of SGO host schools through year-end reports, recovering funds as necessary on behalf of Sport England
• Maintaining a database of SGO post-holders and their host organisations including contact and bank details.
Working closely with Sport England and the Youth Sport Trust, we have built the national online reporting portal to allow the 450 SGOs to provide termly and end-of-year data against targets set by Sport England and the Youth Sport Trust. We collate the data via the portal throughout the year (autumn, spring and summer) and submit to the partners for review.
Since 2011, we have securely and efficiently distributed over £81 million of grants to SGO hosts and audited just under 2200 financial year end reports (to academic year 2016-17). We validate over 405,000 data points on a termly basis, totalling at least 1,620,000 data points concluded and fully tested into data reports each year.