Building Capacity for the Use of Research Evidence (BCURE)Client: DFID / Bangladesh Government | Sectors:
Ecorys delivered this 3-year DFID project to build capacity across Government to develop and implement evidence and research based policies using a highly adaptive and flexible approach.
This is done by:
• Working with the Cabinet Division to develop a uniform evidence-based policy formulation process, and supporting its implementation across three pilot line ministries.
• Helping build increased understanding and capability amongst policy makers within line ministries on the new process, and specifically on: the benefits of integrating data and research evidence into the policy formulation process; and different approaches and qualitative and quantitative methodologies for doing so.
The project successfully:
• Built the capacity of selected line ministries (the Ministry of Environment and Forests; Ministry of Commerce; and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare) to sustainably utilise an evidence informed policy development process, featuring impact assessment tools.
• Enabled Cabinet Division to provide oversight of this process, supporting line ministries where necessary (e.g. through guidelines).
• Developed closer links and understanding between line ministries and Bangladeshi research institutes and think-tanks.
• Institutionalised evidence informed policy making training in civil service training bodies.
• Produced a series of evidence informed policies which produced significant benefits to the Bangladeshi population.