Support to Strengthen Policy Management Capacity in MoldovaClient: SIDA | Sectors: Public Sector Reform
These two consecutive projects (which ran from 2009-2012, with a total budget of €4m) strengthened the Government of Moldova’s capacity to implement effective policy management systems to achieve the overarching objectives of Moldova's National Development Strategy (NDS).
The projects supported all Ministries to improve the quality of Public Financial Management (PFM), evidence-based public policy development and analysis, and linkages between public policy priorities and the budget through the enhancement of the Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF). This was undertaken by providing the following support at the central level:
• Building the capacity of the Ministry of Finance (MoF) to steer the MTEF process, including producing a more accurate fiscal framework, improving the alignment of budget allocations to national priorities, and enhancing programme budgeting;
• Assisting the State Chancellery to prepare a new draft national strategic planning document to replace the previous NDS;
• Providing on-going advice to improve the overarching policy management framework;
• Assisting the State Chancellery to steer sector-level medium term planning based on the 2011-2014 Government Action Plan; and
• Supporting the Academy for Public Administration (APA) in designing, developing and delivering a full training programme to support the new policy development and MTEF process.
This central level support was complemented by the following support at line ministry level, across all 23 line ministries:
• Training Ministry staff to prepare their MTEF, Sector Expenditure Programmes (SEPs) and annual budgets in programme format;
• Supporting Ministries in planning, monitoring and reporting on their consolidated annual action plans; and
• Building capacity of civil society actors to enhance the quality of their involvement in the policy development process.